Page 273 of 287 « First<271272273274275>Last »
Topic Options
#91861 - 01/23/13 04:32 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
Amanda the Nasty
Ching Shih

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT

I finally received my copy of Life After Life! I'm excited to start reading.

I started reading an ARC of American Elsewhere before and am thoroughly enjoying it. I will have to alternate between the two books.

#91862 - 01/25/13 10:00 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Amanda the Nasty]
dovey104
Ching Shih

Loc: st. paul, mn

It has been awhile since I have posted here (almost three years. unbelievable). In my final semester of school, I have only two assigned texts so I feel like treating myself with literary temptations at Chicklit. Plus, I have missed checking in here.

Currently reading Wolf Hall, which I am savoring. I love what Hilary Mantel has done with characters and overall styling. Also reading Perils of Morning Coffee, an Isabel Dalhousie original story only available as an e-book. This A.M.Smith series has become comfort reading for me while I've been in school.

#91863 - 01/25/13 09:56 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: dovey104]
essay
Ching Shih

Great to see you repost, dovey. Wolf Hall is one of my favorites too. Haven't gotten to Bring in the Bodies, but will.

#91878 - 02/03/13 07:24 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: essay]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

I'm experiencing some stress lately (personal and professional) and it's affecting my reading. I keep starting things, getting irritated with them for one reaon or another, and putting them aside. I need something that's going to really hold my attention, without bringing me down or making me think or feel anything too intensely. I just stared Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. We'll see if it does the trick . . .
#91880 - 02/05/13 08:54 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: GingerCat]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I just finished reading Brain on Fire, by Susannah Cahalan. Whew. It was intense. I can't suggest you read it now, GingerCat, but perhaps when life isn't so stressful for you, you might like it.

Now, I'm reading The Kitchen House and I am looking forward to our discussion. Hope a few of you are reading it too. It's definitely a discussion-worthy book!

I was reading Kingsolver's Flight Behavior and finally set it aside when I decided I didn't really care about the main character and I wasn't in the mood for a science lesson wrapped around a fiction novel I wasn't connecting to at all. I felt the same way about Prodigal Summer. I think Kingsolver is a brilliant writer though. I loved The Lacuna, but this one just didn't hold my attention at all.

#91882 - 02/11/13 03:47 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Kivrin]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

I'm reading Earth Abides for my RL book club. The goal is to finish it tonight so that I can barrel my way through The Kitchen House in time for Friday's discussion. (The RL Book Club is Sunday. I need to do a better job of spacing out my book club obligations!)
#91884 - 02/12/13 01:59 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I've been reading As Ever, Julia, a book of letters between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto, who was the woman who really facilitated the publication of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and became fast friends with Julia through correspondence. Some of the story was related in the Julia Child memoir My Life in France, but their letters cover much more than just that. It's interesting and the first book of collected letters I've read.

I set it aside to read Watching the Dark, Peter Robinson's latest Inspector Banks mystery. And next up will be The Kitchen House, which has finally come in for me at the library. I certainly won't have it read by Friday, but will post in the book club thread as soon as I have finished it.

And then it will be back to Julia and Avis.

#91886 - 02/12/13 02:01 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
essay
Ching Shih

That's interesting, Caitlin, as I'm supposed to be reading As Ever, Julia for my reading group, though haven't picked it up yet. Is Avis Devoto related to Bernard DeVoto, the American historian?

I've read a couple of collections of letters, and really liked the form, even though I never really expect to.

Currently reading Swap by John McFetridge, which is a kind of Elmore Leonardesque crime novel set in Canada. It's kind of the opposite of chicklit--drugs, motorcycles, prostitutes, that kind of thing. I know John a little through the blog world, which is how I got sucked into these things. He's a good writer, and manages to keep many plates spinning.

And just a little way into Prophecy, the second S. J. Parris book featuring defrocked monk Giordano Bruno as a detective. Elizabethan era historical mystery, well researched and well written.

#91887 - 02/12/13 03:38 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: essay]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

essay, Avis DeVoto was Bernard's wife. She handled lots of his correspondence (as well as helping edit his work), and she answered a letter Julia Child wrote him in response to an article in Harper's about the poor quality of American kitchen knives. So a random fan letter fortuitously resulted in a great friendship, and Avis became the biggest champion of Mastering the Art and hooked Julia up with Bernard's publisher and an editor there. They began their correspondence in the early '50s, and there is much talk of American politics, McCarthyism, etc. They're both expressive writers, and I'm finding it interesting reading so far.
#91888 - 02/12/13 03:49 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
essay
Ching Shih

That's great backstory. I hope I get to the book in time for my group.
Page 273 of 287 « First<271272273274275>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: