Page 13 of 13 « First<910111213
Topic Options
#90745 - 03/16/11 12:49 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: Daisy Clover]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Daisy Clover, I saw that Anne of Green Gables drinking game the other day -- LOVE it! It never occurred to me that it was part of a bigger site, though. I'll have to check it out.

(RE: UBB code: if you click on the Reply button at the bottom of any post instead of typing in the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page, you'll get a WYSIWYG editor to help with the code.)

#90855 - 05/08/11 09:59 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: Daisy Clover]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

If you ever want to escape your life and wander Paris on a sunny day for a bit, wandering Paris 26 Gigapixels zooming in and out and around is pretty amazing (especially in full-screen mode on a large monitor!).

http://www.paris-26-gigapixels.com/index-en.html

#90862 - 05/10/11 01:06 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: CaitlinM2]
essay
Ching Shih

Looks great, Caitlin.
#91698 - 09/28/12 07:17 AM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: essay]
Bellpop

Ok, some great suggestions. Thank you guys :)

My turn. My favourite websites for daily visits to make me smile:

1 http://www.wwtdd.com yes, a bit crass sometimes, but generally funny and 'real'.
2 http://www.popdonk.com very witty stuff, but brief enough for a quick daily dose.
3 http://www.celebitchy.com I love the opinions expressed, almost, actually BETTER than magazines.

So what are your faves guys? I'd love to add some more quality to my daily distractions.

Bellpop :)

#91719 - 11/01/12 10:06 AM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: Bellpop]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Recently, I got a bunch of e-books through the Humble Bundle deal (http://www.humblebundle.com/) -- have you heard about that? This version of the deal is closed, but I think they're going to do it again. Basically, they got a bunch of authors together and asked them to try an experiment: offer one book apiece and allow customers to pay whatever they want for the "bundle." Each customer then gets to determine how much of their purchase price goes to the authors, how much goes to charity, and how much goes to the website for hosting the deal. If you are willing to pay more than whatever the current average payment is, you can unlock additional books. After I had already purchased the bundle, they added even more books -- which I was still eligible to download without paying more. (I feel absurdly guilty about that. I would totally have paid more money to get the additional books.)

I follow a couple of the authors on Twitter, and they seem to be quite happy with what they got out of the deal, so I suspect everyone involved will conclude that the experiment was successful and worth another shot.

It's worth keeping an eye out to see if additional bundles are forthcoming. The first round was all sci-fi / fantasy stuff, with some webcomics tossed in at the end. I don't know whether they will stick with that theme, or try for other genres.

#92364 - 04/04/14 01:17 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I don't know if any of you ever read Television Without Pity or if you've kept up with it since the sale to Bravo/NBC, but they announced last week that they're shutting down. Today is the last day the main site will be up. The forums will remain up until May 31, and a couple of days ago NBC announced that the recaps will be archived, so we can still read them.

I used to spend hours on that site. Chicklit's founder, Deborah, was a recapper there for a while - I used to read her Trading Spaces recaps and I think she also did The West Wing. Deborah's recap of the Trading Spaces episode where Hildi glued straw to the walls of a living room has been mentioned in the "favorite recaps" thread.

#92368 - 04/11/14 02:56 AM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: TraceyB]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

TraceyB, I also used to spend a lot of time at TWOP (and have continued to read certain recaps and forums now and then), and it was Deborah's Trading Spaces recaps that led me to Chicklit originally. Despite spending way less time there in more recent years, I'll miss the thoughtful, intelligent forum posts (with all their enforced decorum).
#92443 - 09/28/14 05:28 PM Re: Just generally great websites [Re: CaitlinM2]
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

TWOP has been completely down for a few days now. End of access to archives, perhaps? I'm genuinely upset. I still go back and reread Gilmore Girls recaps during my lunch at work.
Page 13 of 13 « First<910111213

Moderator:  Masha 
Hop to: