Page 13 of 13 « First<910111213
Topic Options
#29872 - 10/16/05 06:47 AM Re: reading journals
mst78
Ching Shih

Loc: Tennessee

I have numerous book journals going right now. I keep a compesition journal by my bed and I take a little fat note book with me in my purse. But the number one thing I love the most is my Collectorz.com Book Collector program. It has room for everything. My book notes, ratings, wish list, books on loan, etc.

The price tag is around $40.00, but with free upgrades.

#29873 - 12/09/05 12:46 PM Re: reading journals
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Thought I'd revive this thread as people start thinking about what sort of reading journal to keep in 2006. I've been using the same small hardcover journal for five years now, and I love it dearly, but it's already starting to look a bit worn out. There are lots of blank pages left in it though, so I think I'll just keep using it, creaky and tattered as it is. I always think I'm just going to transfer everything to some sort of electronic journal, but then I realize I'm pretty attached to the paper journal. I haven't quite figured out how to incorporate the "story-a-day" titles, should I decide to take that on as a "Readolution" this coming year...
#29874 - 12/19/05 09:45 PM Re: reading journals
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Well, it's the end of the year and I read 53 books. I didn't have a specific goal, but one book a week seems good to me considering my other commitments.

I'll read some more during the holidays, which might bring my total to 60ish before the new year.

As for next year, my plan is to keep writing in the same book but with lenghtier entries for each book. I like the idea of including definitions of new words and interesting quotes.

#29875 - 01/06/06 01:27 PM Re: reading journals
dramaqueen
Gráinne ni Mhaille

I love the idea of a book journal! This thread has inspired me to start one yesterday. I've had this hardcover notebook/sketchpad sitting on my shelf and I wasn't quite sure what to do with it until now.

Mine is going to be a book/movie journal. Mainly, it will be a list of what I've read/seen with some brief notes about my impressions or interesting tidbits I've picked up. I'll also start a "to-read/to-see" list in the back.

Yay, journal!

#29876 - 01/07/06 12:23 PM Re: reading journals
concertoinv
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta Canada

I have managed that last 2 years to keep a running list of the books I have read. It is something I had often thought to do and now wish I had started sooner. Unfortunately, our computer, where I kept 2004's list, crashed and that list is gone. 2005's list is in a pretty sprial bound notebook that I use for lots of things.

I think that this year I am going to use a lovely hardbound, blank page journal that I have had for a couple of years (waving to dramaqueen) and never used. It has a beautiful cover (one of Degas' ballerina paintings) and I've wanted to use it for something as lovely as the cover. I am inspired this year to keep not just a list of books read, but brief plot summaries and my thoughts about the books as well. I have always been a terrible journal/diary keeper, but I think a proper book journal is something that I can absolutely do. Who knows, maybe I'll be inspired to do more writing period with this format.

#29877 - 02/10/06 09:05 AM Re: reading journals
catlover0908
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

I haven't quite figured out how to incorporate the "story-a-day" titles, should I decide to take that on as a "Readolution" this coming year...

How did you decide to do this, Kivrin? I write the name of the anthology and a brief review in my main book journal, but I also started a short story journal to record each individual short story read and a brief review.

#29878 - 02/10/06 12:12 PM Re: reading journals
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Catlover-- I've created a separate place, a few pages ahead in my main reading journal for individual short stories. I just write story title/author/anthology and a star next to the story if I'd recommend it. It is rare that I'll read a collection or anthology straight through these days, as I'm rather into the whole pick-and-choose-depending-on-mood sort of selection process. If I do read an entire collection, I make note of it in the Books Read section with all the other novels and such. And I list the stories individually in the short story section. Sort of tedious, but thorough. I do wish I were motivated to write up reviews, but my journal is basically a record of each year's worth of reading.
#29879 - 03/05/06 12:27 PM Re: reading journals
LoolaLady
Ching Shih

Quote:
Betsy Prioleau's Seductress just got two full pages, culminating in "I want a fatal fascination that causes platoons of men to fall obsequiously in love with me, and she gives me Kegel exercises for the upwardly mobile whore? Bah."
kathel, I know this was ages ago, but I'd love to read the rest of your review, as I too read Seductress and was somewhat less than impressed by it. Is there someplace I can see the review?

#29880 - 01/03/07 12:55 AM Re: reading journals
graceless
Ching Shih

Loc: Illinois

I am definitely going to keep track of how many books I read this year and am eagerly anticipating getting a gift certificate to B&N from my brother and will hopefully find a nice one there. Once I do, I'll share what I did get.

#91027 - 08/15/11 10:49 PM Re: reading journals [Re: Val]
moonsilk
Ching Shih

Loc: usa

I keep a journal on music,movies,dreams and books. I'm thinking of starting one on travels. I keep a gratitude/thankful journal also. I would like to start one on scrapbooking. Its another hobby besides reading writing and music.

Page 13 of 13 « First<910111213

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: