Page 1 of 12 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#87126 - 11/30/08 09:55 PM The Chicklit Book Club
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Since we decided to expand the horizons of the Fiction Book Club, I thought we should probably have a new, more inclusive thread title. So welcome to the The Chicklit Book Club. Let's get to our 2009 selections.

You people really like making my job difficult, don't you? This was the toughest selection process ever because, as always, you suggested (and seconded and thirded) such fantastic books. And I very much wanted to pick all of them, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Here's what we have for you:

• January: The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff
  • February: The Watchmen by Alan Moore (the movie is released at the beginning of March)
  • March: People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
  • April: The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine
  • May: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
  • June: Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (just in time for summer, get it?)
  • July: Kindred by Octavia Butler
  • August: The Crow Road by Iain Banks
  • September: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  • October: Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
  • November: Cool For You by Eileen Myles
  • December: Time of Our Singing by Richard Powers

Discussions begin on the 15th of each month. I'm looking forward to another awesome year of reading with you guys! Thanks for being patient while I constructed the list -- I know there are a lot of holiday wishlists that need updating.

Edited by LaSalleUGirl (11/30/08 09:56 PM)
Edit Reason: UBB Code Violations

#87130 - 12/01/08 07:07 AM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Promethea
Ching Shih

Good work there! I hope to join in with most of them this year, that can be my first 'readolution'.
#87137 - 12/01/08 04:03 PM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: Promethea]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Thanks, LaSalleUGirl. That's a wonderful selection of books!
#87141 - 12/02/08 01:00 AM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: Kivrin]
essay
Ching Shih

Very nice work, LaSalleUGirl. It's an exciting list. Now let's just hope I find the time to actually get to some of it!
#87158 - 12/03/08 01:55 PM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: essay]
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to everything on this year's list.
#87169 - 12/05/08 12:51 AM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

Oh, yay, that's a great group of books! Thanks, LaSalleUGirl!
#88505 - 10/20/09 09:55 PM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: FishDreamer]
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

I don't know where this year has gone, but it's somehow Book Club Nomination time again. What do you want to read for next year's book club?

Here are the guidelines for Book Club Suggestions:
  • Something we haven't done before (e-mail me for the complete list of previous selections)
  • Reasonably priced (preferably below $15 USD / $20 CDN). Usually, this price point eliminates hardbacks and pricey trade paperbacks.
  • In print.

In the past, we have read plays, short story collections, children's literature, and mysteries, as well as more traditional novels -- those are all fair game for recommendations. Because the Classics and Non-fiction book clubs are no longer active, classics and non-fiction (in all its forms) are also fair game. In addition, people have asked whether we could do graphic novels; the consensus seems to be that one graphic novel per year would be cool.

We're looking for books from all our Chicklit demographics: England, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Caribbean, the US, and anyplace else I've forgotten. Translated stuff is cool too.

So, suggest away! Feel free to re-nominate something that got passed over in previous years -- it is excruciatingly difficult to narrow the field to 12, so the fact that a book didn't get picked doesn't mean it wasn't under serious consideration. If you have any questions, post them here or send me an e-mail.

Two things to get us started:

Want to re-nominate something suggested last year? Here’s the bulk of last year’s short list (scroll down to the subsequent posts to see the non-fiction noms, which were added later).
http://www.chicklitforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=86984&page=0#Post86984

In the Awards & Award Winners thread, we’ve been tossing around the idea of choosing a book from this list (http://www.wasafiri.org/pages/news_01/news_item.asp?News_01ID=182), as we’re collectively feeling very ill-read after perusing it. Care to nominate a specific entry?

Edited by LaSalleUGirl (10/20/09 09:56 PM)
Edit Reason: How many years have I been doing this? And I can't manage to make a list?!

#88506 - 10/20/09 10:25 PM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Well, I'll go ahead and repeat what I said in the Awards and Award Winners thread: from that list, I'd be interested in either Midnight's Children or River of Fire.

I'll have to think more about other ideas.

#88515 - 10/24/09 05:41 PM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: CaitlinM2]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Time flies. I actually do have a short list I'm interested in reading. In fact, they all sit on my TBR shelf at this very moment:
  • Daughters of the North by Sarah Hall
    It's titled The Carhullan Army in the U.K.
  • The White Mary by Kira Salak
  • The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti
  • Eifelheim by Michael Flynn
  • Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell

I've always wanted to read something by Zoë Wicomb and think that You Can't Get Lost in Capetown might be a good choice.

I'd also like to read Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje.

#88545 - 11/02/09 09:51 PM Re: The Chicklit Book Club [Re: Kivrin]
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

Just bumping to remind people to nominate book club selections for next year.
Page 1 of 12 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, Bear, LaSalleUGirl, PrimulaMary, StephA 
Hop to: