Topic Options
#68561 - 05/16/01 03:30 PM Misconceptions of your youth
Angiv
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

When I was a child I thought...

• ocean was pronounced oh-keen
  • all television and radio was live
  • Westerns were images of contemporary America (no, really)
  • swear words were directed only at sheep (I grew up on a farm)

that's all I can think of for now, how about you?

#68562 - 05/16/01 03:49 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
slgorman
Ching Shih

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

This is so embarrassing, but here we go:
  • That all cats were female and all dogs were male. Blame my grandmother and those stupid, dress the dogs and cats up like people story books. And that we only had hamsters and fish when I was little.
  • That my father worked late for about a year. That was my mom's story, and she stuck with it.
  • That everyones mother knew about 50 different party games, all the nursery rhymes known to man, and every board game ever put out by Milton-Bradley.
  • That all boys learned how to cook and do laundry. No excuses.

#68563 - 05/16/01 10:53 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
hula Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Victoria, BC

I thought our car signal lights were actually a complex and top-secret guiding system that told my dad where to turn.
#68564 - 05/17/01 05:44 AM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
Joy
Ching Shih

Loc: London

I thought "sigh" was pronounced sig-huh. I have no idea why.

Oh. And when my parents gave me the "how babies are made" story, when I was about 4, they told me that the father gives the mother a seed, which grows in her stomach to make a baby.

I never got any more details from them (I didn't ask), so I had to fill in the rest of it myself.

Clearly, if Dad gives Mom a seed that ends up in her stomach, she must swallow it. The only food that Dad makes Mom, just for Mom, is omelettes. And the seeds? Well they're probably among all those weird impulse purchase objects near the cash register that make no sense to children - in my mind, they were like plant seeds, anyway, in a little envelope.

I believed that story for years.

#68565 - 05/20/01 03:20 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
ms.strident
Ching Shih

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

When I was five I believed that my Dad could fly but that it was easier for him to walk.

I also thought that he had made up the song containing the line 'your red scarf matches your eyes, close cover before stri-i-i-king'.

One night at dinner there was no fork at my place and my Dad jokingly told me a story about a little girl who was so shy she wouldn't tell her parents that she didn't have a fork and they got upset at her for not eating her dinner and told her that she had to stay at the table until she finished. As a result she starved to death.

I believed him. I was eight at the time.

I'm a sucker. Or at least I was.

[This message has been edited by ms.strident (edited May 20, 2001).]

#68566 - 05/20/01 06:32 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
harper
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

When I was five I believed that my Dad could fly but that it was easier for him to walk.

that is fabulous!! i'm still smiling at it. : )

the only one i can think of off the top of my head is that when i was a child i was convinced that i would find a way to reunite the beatles.

oh, and that everybody wanted to be in the creative arts (acting, writing, etc.) so i would be stupid to try even though it was something i was really drawn to.

#68567 - 05/21/01 04:19 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

Based on my parents' description of sex, I thought it was some strange mechanical thing married people did while still carrying on normal conversation. Like thumb wrestling.

I can't even remember how many words I pronounced incorrectly. My vocabulary was gathered through reading, not other people. Even today, I fear I'm pronouning words wrong, because there are so many words seen frequently in books that are never heard in everyday language.

#68568 - 05/21/01 05:52 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
Katherine
Ching Shih

Loc: Yellowknife, State:Hysterical,...

I'm with you on the mispronunciation of words - I did a lot, a lot, of reading as a kid. My mother had eyes in the back of her head and my parents DID NOT have sex. I was a test tube baby, except that I was born in 1962 but it still works for me if I don't think too hard.
#68569 - 05/21/01 06:09 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

I remember thinking that you pronounced the W in "sword," which got my family laughing at me.

When I was about 10, I was listening to a lot of top-40 radio with my younger brother. I wanted to buy him an album for Christmas (I myself did not own any albums yet) and so I asked my mom to go to the store and pick up the album that had both the Paul McCartney/Michael Jackson song "Say Say Say" and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" (it was 1982, and I was young). She came back with Thriller, which lacked the former song and was a grave disappointment. I literally had no idea that artists had more than one album and all their songs could not be found on the same album, or that you couldn't mix and match or something and get any combination you wished for.

A painful misconception, which I had at about age 13, was that all you needed to do to shave your legs was get your legs wet and apply the razor. Ow, ow, ow. My best friend clued me in about soap, and later I figured out that if some sort of shaving cream worked for Dad on his face, it might not do my legs any harm either.

[This message has been edited by cat (edited May 21, 2001).]

#68570 - 05/21/01 09:37 PM Re: Misconceptions of your youth
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

Quote:
I can't even remember how many words I pronounced incorrectly. My vocabulary was gathered through reading, not other people. Even today, I fear I'm pronouning words wrong, because there are so many words seen frequently in books that are never heard in everyday language.

me too. Painful remembrances of saying the word 'rapport' incorrectly flooding me.

Oh, as a kid I believed far too many strange things for me to even delve into:

I thought that eggs bought at the market could hatch into living chicks if left unrefrigerated & kept warm. I, um, tried once.

I really worried about the light in the frig--whether it turned off when I closed the door. Like, everybody assured me it did, but it was a source (for whatever bizarre reason) of concern.

I was freaked out by the whole Bloody Mary mirror-in-the-darkness urban legend/horror story; I believed in it. OK, it still freaks me out today, but I no longer believe. I think.

Page 1 of 29 12345>Last »

Moderator:  hula, studio1 
Hop to: