Page 1 of 25 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#68029 - 11/30/01 05:46 PM All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
little_i
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Chicago

I just found out about George Harrison's death on cnn.com, and I found myself crying as I read article. The Beatles were the first band I ever got into, and as I went from middle school to high school, I invested a lot of emotion in a lot of their songs. I was a HUGE fan, and read everything I could about them, bought all the CDs, etc. And then I kind of forgot about them when I left for college.

I think, though, that I harbored the hope that someday there would be some sort of quasi-reunion of George, Paul, and Ringo and they would make beautiful music together again. In a way, they meant more to me than just music; they were something greater than what they had created.

It's hard to put into words why I feel this unexpectedly deep sense of loss, and I'm wondering how everyone else feels about it.

[This message has been edited by little_i (edited November 30, 2001).]

#68030 - 11/30/01 08:57 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
bonster
Ching Shih

Loc: Texas

You picked the perfect header for this thread. I have been so sad all day. Not only was he a Beatle, he also produced movies for Monty Python - can it get any better than that?! What a talent. What a loss.
#68031 - 12/01/01 02:47 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Yeah, I got all sad about this too.
When I think of George Harrison, I think of that idealist, groovy hippie dude he was in the early 1970's. I think of the brilliant All Things Must Pass and Concert for Bangladesh. I am reminded of what a huge influence he was on me when I was a dreamy 16-year old. The whole Bangladesh event was the first time I realized that the world did not revolve around Kivrin after all. Indeed, I had many more lessons to learn, but George Harrison was one of my earliest teachers.

#68032 - 12/01/01 08:33 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
harper
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

i knew this was coming, but it still made me really sad. george was often underappreciated, but he was an incredible musician and person. rest in peace, george.
#68033 - 04/21/03 10:11 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
beastiegirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

This isn't about George, much as I miss him, but it seemed like the most appropriate thread because I didn't want to start a new one just to say:

Rest In Peace Nina Simone. I was really quite bummed to hear that she died today. She was a mad, angry, wonderfully talented woman who didn't get to make the kind of music she wanted and yet created so much beauty. I'm off to listen to her now.

#68034 - 04/21/03 10:26 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
Catness
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

I was actually listening to "Nina Simone's Finest Hour" when I took a little break to check the news this afternoon and saw the notice of her death. I was shocked.

It was "Mississippi Goddam" for those of you that keep track of these sorts of things.

Rest in peace, Nina. And thank you.

#68035 - 06/30/03 02:07 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
water song
Ching Shih

Loc: Austin, TX

I've been weeping on and off today over the passing of Katherine Hepburn. In addition to the admiration I felt -and still do feel- for her acting career, Ms. Hepburn's spirited, feminist, stubbornness was something I long admired. She made a huge imprint on my young, impressionable mind. Thank you, Kate. And sleep well.
#68036 - 06/30/03 02:36 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
Selena
Ching Shih

Loc: Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Well said, water song. She will be missed.
#68037 - 07/02/03 10:58 AM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
graceless
Ching Shih

Loc: Illinois

I've been a fan of Katharine's since before I could speak - I probably couldn't understand Woman of the Year at age 4, but that didn't stop me from adoring the woman onscreen. She will be sadly missed.

#68038 - 07/02/03 12:13 PM Re: All Things Must Pass: The Obituary Thread
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Robert McCloskey, the author of Make Way for Ducklings, has just died. I gave that book to my niece for her first Christmas; I was living in Boston at the time and it's such a sweet story. I thought of McCloskey when I saw all the baby ducks on Lake Harriet last night.
Page 1 of 25 12345>Last »

Moderator:  hula, studio1 
Hop to: