Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#63279 - 11/06/02 11:05 AM Yoga
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

So what's a good yoga video? Frink and I would like to take a class together but it's just impossible to find one here in Tinyopolis that works with our schedule, despite the fact that there are at least two or three yoga teachers in town. And I have a couple of yoga books but I find they're a little hard to work from for something like this. Any video recommendations?
#63280 - 11/06/02 11:29 AM Re: Yoga
mollym
Ching Shih

Deborah, I don't have a video recommendation, but I do have a CD I've used (my teacher, who runs a studio in Toronto right at Yonge and College, put it together). You can find it at http://www.theyogasanctuary.net/cds.html. It's Ashtanga, not Hatha, so it's a pretty intense workout, but she talks during the poses to remind people of how to get and hold the pose. I like it a lot.
#63281 - 11/06/02 01:15 PM Re: Yoga
opal
Ching Shih

Loc: Memphis, TN

I found Yoga Journal's Yoga for Beginners to be a really good introduction to yoga. The instructor is ultra mellow and explains things in deep detail, with a psychic ability to know what you're probably doing wrong. I'd highly recommend going with a DVD if you have the option - it's very nice to be able to skip directly to the poses you want to practice.
#63282 - 11/06/02 01:24 PM Re: Yoga
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

deborah, I've been doing yoga off and on for ten years, and last year I had to give up the classes entirely -- they just cost too much. I invested in a bunch of tapes, but find that I only use a few of them. My favorites are the Total Yoga Flow Series by Ganga White and Tracy Rich. I wouldn't buy the fire one right away, though -- it's a killer. It's a very thorough practice, and manageable for both beginners and intermediate students.

I also appreciate that it's set in a basic white studio, instead of on a cliff overlooking the ocean (so you'll know how natural and peaceful yoga is). And, the instructors never tell you to imagine your toes blooming like tiny buds.

If you donít mind the tiny buds, some of the Rodney Yee Living Arts tapes offer a decent practice, though they arenít very difficult. I like the Power Yoga DVD , because it contains three 20 minute sessions Ė great when youíre short on time.

[This message has been edited by sunflow (edited November 06, 2002).]

#63283 - 11/06/02 09:06 PM Re: Yoga
christie
Ching Shih

Loc: Dallas, Texas

If you get the Oxygen network, I completely recommend Steve Ross's yoga show Inhale. Great music and lots of fun. Plus the class is full of beginners - people struggle and fall over and it's no big deal.

Really a fun way to practice.

#63284 - 11/07/02 02:16 PM Re: Yoga
sunflow
Ching Shih

Loc: Brighton, UK

I want to add that, in addition to the tapes, you should try to get to at least a few classes, or have an experienced friend help out. So much of yoga is in the details -- alignment and posture. You won't get the full benefits if those are sloppy. The classes will make sure you don't fall into bad habits, and also offer variety of instruction and poses. If you can't get to any classes, sloppy yoga is still better than none, but it will help.
#63285 - 11/07/02 03:54 PM Re: Yoga
cat
Ching Shih

Loc: Northern California

To expand on what sunflow was saying: if you can't go to the classes together, can you bring a class to you? A lot of yoga instructors will happily do private instruction for a reasonable price. You might call a couple of the people in your town and tell them you're looking for a kind of "yoga 101" session, maybe two hours of intro to the poses and alignment, etc. Then you can go on to the tapes with a much clearer understanding of what you're up to.

I was practicing from tapes for a few months before I worked up the courage to go to a class, and boy, was it ever different. I love the classes, and I find the tapes a decent substitute if I absolutely can't make it to a class--but only then.

#63286 - 11/07/02 04:37 PM Re: Yoga
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Just to chime in here with the advantage of personalized instruction -

When I started yoga, I had a friend who was a personal trainer who helped me out so that I'd know what things were supposed to feel like. It helped a lot.

I've used the Buns of Steel Power Yoga tape (it's tough, but fairly short, only about half an hour), and one of the Living Arts tapes, Yoga for Weight Loss - of course, I can't remember the name of the instructor on that one. I liked both these tapes because they have people demonstrating alternative ways of doing the poses. Seeing beginner versions of the poses was very helpful to my extremely inflexible self, since there's no way I can do all the things the instructor is doing.

The latter tape I mentioned even has non-skinny women doing the demonstrations.

#63287 - 11/09/02 02:26 AM Re: Yoga
Strega
Ching Shih

Loc: Maryland, USA

Deborah, I got Richard Hittleman's Yoga 28 Day Exercise Plan years ago on a whim, and I've really liked it. Granted, I pull it out, follow the plan for 2 or 3 weeks, and then forget it for six months, but that's entirely due to my own laziness.

It lays out the exercises really nicely, with lots of photos so you can see what you should be doing, and there are set routines for each day that build on each other. I think it's nice for beginners because it starts so simply (and I'm easily discouraged, so that has to be worth something).I know what you mean about how hard it is to follow something from a book, but I think they've made it as easy as possible to do.

There are some New-Agey things in there that get on my nerves, but they're not hard to ignore.

A friend of mine has started teaching a Yoga class, so I'll ask her for suggestions, too, but that's off the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by Strega (edited November 09, 2002).]

#63288 - 11/09/02 08:21 PM Re: Yoga
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I have the Gently Yoga tape from the GAIAM series ( www.gaiam.com ). Mr D's mother recommended them in particular. She & her husband have a set of them and do them regularly. If you can't find the tapes, you can order from the website. My local Suncoast Video has them, and I'm planning to go get another one for variety. GAIAM is the Living Arts people, but I can tell you there are no little buds or opening flowers on my tape. I don't know that I'd mind, since I consider yoga to be a spiritual practice, not just a physical one (for me, not necessarily for everyone else).

However, to chime in with everyone else, you really do need to get some in-person instruction first if you can. It makes a huge difference in how you do the poses, and understanding what they mean sometimes. If I hadn't had a couple of months of classes a couple of years ago, I would have no idea how to do them right.

I love doing my tape. It is on a cliff overlooking the ocean, but since I don't actually watch anymore (I just follow the instructions) it just gives soothing background noise. I use a videotape case as my block and the belt from an old bathrobe as my strap. I love it, it is so soothing and calm.

And if anyone can explain the different kinds of yoga, I'd appreciate it. I have some fairly bad joint problems, so I have to be careful. Is Hatha what we would consider the basic type of yoga? Not power yoga or extra hot heated room yoga, just stretching and poses? Or is there any such thing?

Opal, they have yoga DVDs? Oooh. Our VCR is dying and I've been wondering what I was going to do when it goes.

Edited to note: Apparently Gaiam, Yoga Journal, and Living Arts are all connected somehow.

[This message has been edited by FishDreamer (edited November 09, 2002).]

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: