Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#62372 - 08/06/04 09:52 PM What's in your lunch bag?
harper Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Chicago, Illinois

Looking for ideas to spice up your mid-day meal? Want to stop spending so much money eating out for lunch or want to eat less fast food, but you draw a blank about how to fill that little brown bag? Ask and share here.
#62373 - 08/25/04 10:53 AM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
listersgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Sandwiches aren't really working for me these days because the bread keeps freezing in the tempermental fridge at work, so I've started making wraps of various sorts, using the flavoured tortilla shells that are all over the grocery stores these days. One of my favourite combinations is spinach tortilla, hummous, sushi rice, black olives, spinach and grated cheese. Yum.

Any other ideas for what would be good wrapped up?

#62374 - 08/25/04 11:28 AM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Unless there's a free food being provided at my office (it happens sometimes), I nearly always bring lunch.

One very nice lunch is a yogurt parfait. I have some plastic containers that are cylindrical, and I layer granola, vanilla yogurt, and berries. Very tasty, especially in the summer when you can get good blueberries and strawberries.

#62375 - 08/25/04 07:03 PM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
Mara2
Ching Shih

Loc: Canberra Australia

Single serve tinned soups are my standard winter lunch - pumpkin, potato and leek, pea and ham. There's a different flavour for each day of the week. I generally pop a can and a couple of pieces of fruit in my handbag each morning and away I go. I'm just not disciplined enough to make sandwiches every morning.

I also regularly make up huge batches of risottos/pastas/stirfrys etc and freeze them so I can just quickly grab them in the morning.

#62376 - 08/26/04 06:27 PM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
Orlando
Ching Shih

Loc: Australia

Mara, soup is also my staple lunch at this time of year. I like those individual tins, but if I have time, I like to make a big pot myself at the weekend. In fact, one of my favourite ways to spend a Sunday afternoon when it's cold and rainy is curled up on the couch with a cup of tea and a good book while soup simmers away on the stove. I then freeze it in individual serves and all I have to do is take it out of the freezer the night before, add a piece of fruit in the morning and I have a healthy(and cheap) lunch.

Currently I'm enjoying the pumpkin soup that I made a couple of weeks ago but I've almost run out - I can feel a minestrone making session coming on this weekend.

#62377 - 08/30/04 03:06 PM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I'm trying to get away from buying my lunch, because it's expensive and the food available is generally not the healthiest. I love sandwiches, but I don't have time to make anything in the morning, and sandwiches don't generally keep well overnight.

I have a bunch of relatively healthy frozen entrees (lean cuisine, Amy's Organic, and the new Moosewood ones) but they don't fill me up. This is why whatever was for dinner is usually also what's for lunch. I would love to get up in the morning and work out, make lunch, drink my coffee, and solve all the world's problems, but I just don't get to bed early enough to make that happen.

My sister gave me a bunch of tomatoes and cucumbers from her garden, so I've been cutting them up and leaving them in balsamic vinaigrette overnight. The tomatoes especially are amazing - nothing beats a home-grown tomato! I'm going to beg her for some more this weekend.

But I would love ideas for things that sit well in the refrigerator overnight. Listersgirl, I like your idea of wraps. My favorite is just refried beans, cheese, onions, and salsa. Maybe some kind of Greek horiatiki-style salad wrap? Lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, and feta, but I guess it would be better to transport the salad separately from the tortilla and assemble at work to avoid sogginess. I also love leftover chili with cheese and onions in a tortilla.

Tortillas are awfully handy, aren't they?
edited because UBB does not equal HTML

#62378 - 08/30/04 08:28 PM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
LonelyandHiding
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: NH

Never having been big on pre-planning or getting up early to make lunch I rely heavily on convience foods.

For the past month I've been buying those rice pack things. 60 seconds in the microwave and it's ready to eat.

There are different flavors so it doesn't get boring and I usually bring snow peas, carrots, and mushrooms to cut up and eat with the rice.

The rice works well it doesn't have to be kept cold...which is a bonus because we have a microwave at work, but no fridge.

My favorite wrap is smoked turkey, pepperjack cheese, honey mustard and sprouts in a chile tortilla.

#62379 - 09/09/04 01:56 PM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
listersgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

FishDreamer, I love the idea of marinating the tomatoes and cucumbers overnight. That might solve my problems of leaky containers, if I drained the marinade before coming to work.

Now that the weather is getting cooler, I'm reverting to the standard 'one huge pot of food' style of lunch. I made a really good black bean/chickpea chili on the weekend, and have been eating that, supplemented with carrot sticks and red pepper, all week.

#62380 - 09/24/04 09:57 PM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
strwbrygal
Ching Shih

mmmm.... listersgirl, can I talk you into sharing your black bean/chickpea chili recipe as a public service?! It sounds wonderful, and I've been looking for recipes that I can make ahead so that I don't have to waste my precious evening reading time making lunches. Unfortunately, it has become a vicious cycle... because if I don't make my lunch ahead, I end up purchasing food as well as spending time hunting it down... time (and money) that I could have spent on reading.
#62381 - 06/01/06 12:51 PM Re: What's in your lunch bag?
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

OK, it seems that buying a slice of pizza every school day doesn't constitute an appropriate 'lunch'. Heh.

Any new (or more detailed) suggestions would be very welcome. My one caveat is that I have no access to a fridge between leaving the house and eating lunch. Do you find that an ice pack works to keep stuff cool and - in terms of dairy - safe to eat?

I just found tupperware that holds the salad dressing separately until you dispense it; I think I'm going to buy one!

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  harper 
Hop to: