Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#62063 - 08/09/04 08:37 AM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Quote:
Originally posted by Keckler:

However, I have my faves. I ADORE Bonny Doon and even won a writing contest with them. They have an excellent tasting room in Santa Cruz, CA. It's totally free, you try about 13 wines and the people there are laid-back, knowledgeable, and so very nice. I don't think I've had a wine of theirs that I didn't like. I particularly love their Pacific Rim Riesling and their "pink wine" -- Vin Gris Cigare. Oooh, I could just go on and on about them -- their Charbono, Il Circo: Uva di Troia, "La Violetta," and Le Cigare Volant.

MMM!! Cigare Volant was the first wine I tasted that made me think - 'wow! I like wine... A LOT!'
I love Bonny Doon so much too. I also love how they managed to bridge the gap between good wine and cool marketing and graphics. They really have the coolest wine brand around, in my opinion. check out their website if you want . My brother in law went to one of their events (the day of the doon) last year and couldn't stop going on about the juggling, costumes, food, etc.

#62064 - 08/09/04 09:18 AM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
Keckler
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

betso26, I won a limited edition bottle of Charbono hand-signed by Grahm and a limited edition poster of a Le Cigare Volant poster, also hand-signed.

They're my most prized possessions.

#62065 - 08/09/04 09:32 AM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
betso26
Ching Shih

Loc: Vermont

Quote:
Originally posted by Keckler:
betso26, I won a limited edition bottle of Charbono hand-signed by Grahm and a limited edition poster of a Le Cigare Volant poster, also hand-signed.

They're my most prized possessions.
ooh ohh... jealous!! \:D

#62066 - 08/10/04 09:29 AM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
ken_m
Ching Shih

Ms._m (and all of her friends) like red wine. A lot. Shiraz and Merlot, mostly. Unfortunately, to me, red wine exists on a continuum from "Well, it's sort of tolerable, I guess" at one extreme and "Egad, that's just awful" at the other.

Fortunately, we can agree on whites. Usually the Iniskillin Late Autumn Riesling is the one that comes home from the liquor store. We just recently did a tour of the craft wineries in the Niagara peninsula, though, so we have some special bottles in the "cellar" to work through now. (If you get a chance to try Lailey vineyards, do so.)

#62067 - 08/14/04 09:14 PM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
Keckler
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

Tomorrow I'm off to Stag's Leap Vineyard in Napa with some friends. Back in the 70s, they had a Cabernet that beat out a French Bordeaux in a French competition and they've been growing strong ever since. I can't wait to sample their wares.

They have a dry rose and a petit Syrah I'm particularly interested in.

#62068 - 08/15/04 08:22 AM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
Fiordiligi
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

Oooh Keckler that sounds wonderful. Drink some for me please. I visited the Napa Valley and some of the tiny "boutique" vineyards in the late 80's with our foodie friends from Berkeley and have very fond memories.

Today I pcked up a bottle of Julienas to drink chilled. A Beaujolais from one of the villages is perfect for a summer meal accompaniment, I find (or a chilled red Sancerre).

#62069 - 08/15/04 04:55 PM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
mollymauk
Ching Shih

Loc: san francisco, ca

I'm exclusively a white wine woman. Friends of mine seem to think this is a little perverse. Red is for late-night, passionate conversations about life, they seem to think, while white is for grandmas. Well that's okay with me; I love grandmas, mine especially. But I also find whites can be subtle and complex, and go with a lot of the food I like (veggies, fish, mild cheeses, and wine/broth based dishes.) But I came to the white side out of necessity; reds hurt my tummy.
 Quote:
Cabernet Sauvignons I find almost painful--I am not a tannin fan.
Oh, the tanins are probaby the cause of my pain. Cabs are the reds I'd often try, but I didn't know other types had less tannins. Any suggestions on safer, milder reds?

I love California wines. I recently discovered this fantastic, very cheap wine at Trader Joe's from a vineyard called Three Willows. They ran out of the chardonnay (I purchased the last three bottles myself,) and the sauvignon blanc has really grown on me. It is strange and musky. I dropped a bottle last night just outside of the house I was bringing it to. The bag broke, and the bottle crashed at my feet. I was so upset that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it that night with the mild curry I had made, that I didn't even notice I was bleeding, a little, until someone offered to get me a band-aid.

My other favorite wine now is this Orvieto that I get from a nearby Italian import shop. It's also very inexpensive, and tastes like almonds.

#62070 - 08/22/04 12:03 AM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
Perthelia
Ching Shih

Loc: Issaquah, Washington

I love reds, but I have the hardest time drinking whites because they are just instant heartburn for me. After two sips it's like drinking acid.

That said, I had a very good glass of white tonight which was quite a bit sweeter than the chards I've tried in the past, though not as sweet as, say, a Riesling. Of course, I've already forgotten the name; I'll have to contact someone about it. And the best wine I EVER had was a white. I think it was Frog's Leap, but I could be wrong. I do know it was well over $100 a bottle and I wasn't paying for it.

I used to be a fan of any cheap cabernet or merlot I could get my hands on, but I've been trying lighter reds more recently. I particularly liked a Pinot Noir from Stag's Leap that I got a few months ago. There's a Beujolais that I can't remember the name of but recognize on sight, and I also enjoy Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot.

I buy (or bought, before I moved) a lot of my wines at Costco. The price differential is significant and I'm more willing to try that $8 bottle knowing it would cost me $16 at the grocery store. I have been far too intimidated to try the actual wine shops or merchants, but I could probably learn a lot if I did.

#62071 - 08/22/04 07:35 PM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Perthelia, I have the exact opposite problem. The tannic acid in reds (and in most chardonnays) just shreds my esophagus from the first sip. I can only have pinot grigios and Rieslings. Of course, that doesn't stop me from tasting reds occasionally. I'm still convinced that one of these days I'll find one that doesn't make me immediately ill.
#62072 - 08/22/04 08:13 PM Re: Wine is Bottled Poetry
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

I get migraines from the tannins in reds and oaky chardonnays. It's very sad. Weirdly enough, if the reds are made into sangria with enough other liquor like brandy, it doesn't give me a migraine. At least I can still get the occasional red fix through sangria.

Perthelia, maybe the Frog's Leap was a Sauvignon Blanc? It's one of my favorite whites. Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, very dry Rieslings are wonderful. Ditto the Alsatians (sp?) and Gruner Veltliner. I'm also, like others in this thread, getting more into Roses, after years of the horrible "White Zin" stigma.

Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  harper 
Hop to: