Page 5 of 20 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#59459 - 10/18/02 09:40 AM Re: Being a Librarian
silverflux
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

Does a library school's ranking really count?

I'm planning on applying to schools in the NYC area and can only imagine how competative admissions are. If I get into a low-ranked program should I go? I have always thought that sometimes its not where you go, but what you do and what you get out of it.

#59460 - 10/18/02 12:41 PM Re: Being a Librarian
Library Girl
Ching Shih

Loc: North Carolina

It really doesn't matter where you go, as long as it is accredited. Really, it is what you make of it. Just make sure to take advantage of pre-professional opportunities like internships, fieldworks, etc. so you get experience. Good luck.
#59461 - 04/01/03 06:13 PM Re: Being a Librarian
Helina
Ching Shih

Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I wanted to bump this topic since I'm seriously thinking of applying for my MLIS degree.

I'm pretty sure I'd like being a librarian. My mom is a catalog librarian and from what know of her job, I'd like it. I like sorting and cataloguing things and I'm endlessly fascinated by the library of congress classification system. I also like working with computers and it sounds like that sort of experience is in demand.

So what's the problem? The admission guidelines are very intimidating! I have a BSc in physics which isn't exactly a related discipline and I'm wondering who to ask for recommendations. Not that many people, apart from good friends, know how obsessed with books I am and I can't ask them or my mom, unfortunately.

So, who did you ask? Also, does anyone have any comments about the UBC (Vancouver, Canada) MLIS program? I'd appreciate any advice, really.

#59462 - 04/01/03 11:27 PM Re: Being a Librarian
Bureinato
Ching Shih

Loc: Denver

Helina, take heart, a BSc in Physics sounds like a great background for a librarian. Think of all the physics libraries in academia and scientific research companies (like drug companies) who would love a librarian with a science background.
#59463 - 04/02/03 12:56 PM Re: Being a Librarian
roggey
Ching Shih

Loc: IOWA

Quote:
Originally posted by mini-mart:
Just had to post my 2 cents worth...
My favorite moment so far was helping this man, who was at least 65-70 years old, find books he wanted. He had a vague idea of what he was looking for (books about birds) and after awhile it became clear that he had no idea how libraries worked. After talking with him a little, I found out that he had never been in a library and that he had just learned to read... when he brought them back, a few weeks later, he was so proud to have read a book by himself for the first time... a group of summer camp kids coming in and one of them (a girl about 4-5) approached him and said that she had just started to read too, and that maybe, if they picked out new books to read right then, they could help each other with the hard words...
mini-mart: as an adult reading tutor, thank you for sharing this story, because this makes my volunteering so worthwhile!

I've always made sure my local librarians know how much I appreciate their work with my clients. I usually introduce my clients to the librarians and together we introduce the library system to my new readers.

It's a wonderful partnership and I cannot say enough nice things about librians and their work!

#59464 - 04/06/03 08:52 PM Re: Being a Librarian
Clarke
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Hi,
I have been a lurker for some time, and finally, because of this thread, I have decided to post! I am currently enrolled in library school. I also work at a library, and I truly do like the work. However, I find library school to be painfully dull. I am sticking with it, though, because I like the profession (I've worked in it for several years). Not to be negative, but I'm just wondering if anyone else found/finds library school to be less than stimulating.

#59465 - 05/28/03 07:59 AM Re: Being a Librarian
Albacore
Ching Shih

Loc: Ottawa

Not about being a librarian per se, but I thought the librarians and book lovers here might appreciate this . I definitely need a "Born to Read" temporary tattoo!
#59466 - 05/28/03 09:01 AM Re: Being a Librarian
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

Hey, I was accepted to the Simmons school of library science! I'll be taking my first class in less than a month (unless I decide to defer to the fall, which is definitely a possibility), since there aren't all that many classes open that I want to take. Woot!
#59467 - 05/28/03 10:25 AM Re: Being a Librarian
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

voiceofreason, woo-hoo! Congratulations!
#59468 - 06/12/03 06:25 PM Re: Being a Librarian
ruad
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

voiceofreason, congratulations! I'm a Simmons undergrad (Dix scholar/English), thinking about the GSLIS program when I'm finished. I'm working at the circulation desk at Beatley evenings Tues-Thurs - come chat if you like.
Page 5 of 20 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: