Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#30727 - 11/05/05 10:43 PM Blogging software
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

I'm interested in hearing about what people think about the different blogging software and services and tools out there, and what your experiences have been. I'm particularly interested in comments on TypePad and Movable Type (and Six Apart, the company that developed them). I would also like to hear about Blogger/blogspot.

I'd like to know about ease of use and installation, flexibility, options worth paying for, quality of tech support, downtime, persistent bugs, extra features, management of reader comments, etc., etc.

Any remark on any aspect of blogging software are most welcome.

Also, as a blog reader, do you have preferences for blogging software? Do you prefer to read blogs done with certain tools, or do you even notice? Are there blogs that, content aside, you think are exemplary for their use of technology and overall design? Please provide links.

Thank you!

#30728 - 11/06/05 05:07 AM Re: Blogging software
goo
Ching Shih

Loc: London, UK

I've found WordPress to be really simple to understand and easy to use - there are gazilions of plug-ins and add-ons available, and anyone with even a basic understanding of php and MySQL can make their own extras. I've had zero problems with it so far (although there is a lot to be said for the on-site, boyfriend variety of tech support \:\) ).

As for the others, I've noticed an annoying bug in Expression Engine with the browsers I use (Opera and Crazy Browser, in both Ubuntu Linux and Windows OS) that makes it really difficult to navigate archived entries. Clicking on a new page sends you back to the current post instead of the page you are after. For paid-for software it is a big flaw.

#30729 - 11/06/05 06:46 AM Re: Blogging software
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Wow, goo, thanks! I had not even heard of WordPress. I am going to check it out.

I'm also curious to find out what people think of the two-column vs. the three-column format of most blogs. I had been leaning toward three-column, but I've just spent some time looking at a lot of blogs, and now I don't know. I also don't know if this is something determined by different blogging tools -- it seems to be. For instance, the Blogger blogs I have bookmarked all seem to be two columns with a fairly margin on each side -- but is that a coincidence, or is that the only option in Blogger? Typepad blogs seem to be able to use either format. Any insight about this is welcome.

#30730 - 11/09/05 07:58 PM Re: Blogging software
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Anybody else? Come on, I know everybody and her cat around here has a blog...y'all must have SOME opinions or thoughts...
#30731 - 11/09/05 09:00 PM Re: Blogging software
miercoles
Ching Shih

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

I personally dislike three-column blogs, because I think it's harder to find things. It might save you from having to scroll down a lot, but it also means that you have to look in two columns to find the archives or links. And on smaller screens, the main content column could be quite narrow.

I also use WordPress, and really like it. It works out of the box, but you can customize it more if you want, and there's templates available online. It lets you have various categories for your posts, which Blogger didn't when I was using it. It also supports comments, so you don't have to use Haloscan or anything like that. The one problem is that it doesn't have any sort of automatic filter against comment spam, and you have to go in and set up some keywords for the blacklist, and even more for the moderation list.

And it's free.

#30732 - 11/10/05 12:21 AM Re: Blogging software
FishDreamer Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Windy City USA

I'm with everyone else in preferring two columns, rather than three. I just do not like crowded real estate on my screen.

I have used Moveable Type, although I never installed it, I only used the web interface in someone else's installation. I know she had a little trouble on occasion with the back end, but it was generally really minor. The web interface is a snap to use and I really liked it, for the most part. Is there any particular functionality you're looking for? That might make a difference.

I believe Six Apart now owns LiveJournal as well, although I don't think LJ is what you're looking for. It's very easy to use, but tends more towards the community than the blog if that makes sense.

Six Apart has not messed overly much with LJ, which gives them extra points from me. And I do not generally notice what software or interface people use. I only notice if it's intrusive, and that's generally more design than interface.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: