Page 1 of 26 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#26311 - 05/15/06 10:02 PM Help me with the title of this book...
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

You remember the cover illustration, or you have a fuzzy recollection of plot points, or you've got hold of some other vague information, but what you really need is the title. Get help here! Post as much as you remember and hope that someone else knows what you're on about...
#26312 - 05/17/06 07:01 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
jesmo
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: West Columbia, SC

hey i am looking for a novel i read in the mid 90's, though it was probably published in the 80's or earlier. It was set in the civil war time and the main characters name was Dave Devon. He is in love with a young woman(cannot remember her name)but married her sister(whose name is Charlotte I believe) because he got her pregnant. The other sister married a man who beat her and they had a son named Tad. when Daves wife and child die in a fire he turns to the other sister for comfort and helps her out of her marital and financial situation. They get married and have a child together. His wife gets sick with the fever and nearly dies. One scene at the beginning of the book has the young woman fooling Dave into thinking she is a boy and when he finds out(without her knowing)he makes her smoke a cigar. Another scene has a tornado coming directly towards her house and Dave comes in to save her. The cover has the man and the women on either side of him(one in a blue dress and one in a pink dress). I do not know the author or the title. Any help would be appreciated in locating the book. Thanks, Jess.
#26313 - 05/21/06 07:13 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
zibilee
Ching Shih

Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

I am looking for a book that I believe I heard about here on chicklit. It is about a painter that has to paint a portrait of a woman that he has never seen, and will never see. I'm not sure about much else, since I haven't read the book, but I'm hoping that someone here knows which book I'm talking about.
#26314 - 05/21/06 10:22 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Zibilee--It's The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque by Jeffrey Ford.

edited for title oopsie...

#26315 - 05/22/06 12:24 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
zibilee
Ching Shih

Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

Thanks Kivrin!
#26316 - 06/07/06 03:29 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
beth_s
Ching Shih

Loc: UK

Hoping someone can help, cause this is really a long shot. It's a book that had a review by Chuck Palahniuk on the front saying how great the book was. I think it was something to do a hospital, intensive care maybe? The cover was kind of graffiti-ish. And if anyone reading this knows the Waterstones in Newcastle, I can tell you exactly where it was on the 3 for 2 table a couple of weekends ago. Unfortunately, the Waterstones staff didn't remember at lunch.

My husband and I both thought it looked like something he would really enjoy. I wanted to buy it for him but when I went in at lunch they'd moved everything around! I knew at the time I should have noted down the author and title....

I'm not really expecting anyone to have any idea, but thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

ETA: Never mind, I found it. It's the Contortionist's Handbook.

#26317 - 06/14/06 06:00 AM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

Bump.
#26318 - 06/16/06 12:08 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
afterwards
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: Tennessee

I'm looking more for the author's name than the title of the book. I think she's most famous for her short stories. I read a collection of them called something along the lines of "You Can't Go Home Again". She also had a novel about a little girl whose mother has a weird, prisoner-like relationship with a man, and then when the girl grows up she also becomes the man's prisoner. It had a short title.

Edit: Found it! She's Kirsty Gunn, and the books are This Place You Return To Is Home and The Keepsake.

#26319 - 06/16/06 08:17 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
Rubita
Ching Shih

Loc: Ojai, CA

Last year, probably, I read a book I found in the mystery section at Barnes and Noble. It was about a woman who had recently been widowed by the husband she had only married to get away from her mother. I'm pretty sure it took place in Victorian England because there were strict rules of mourning. I also remember that the mystery was about her late husband and Africa and his best-friend who (of course) becomes her love interest. Plus, in investigating her husband's death she comes to love him in a posthumous fashion. Any ideas?
#26320 - 06/21/06 01:42 PM Re: Help me with the title of this book...
skwirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Michigan

HELP! A lady I know is looking for a book her mother read to her when she was a little girl (so, late 1940s or earlier). She thinks the title is called _Katrina_Comes_To_America. She said it was a picture book, and that it may have been in an anthology. It's about a little girl who goes to visit her grandmother. I can't find any book by this title, so I put it to you Chickliteers: Any clues?
Page 1 of 26 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: