Page 1 of 60 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#16964 - 12/10/02 04:02 PM New Year’s Readolutions
setara
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta/Canada

I have never kept a log of the books I read, but I decided I am starting one in 2003. I have also decided I am going to read some books that, because of procrastination or whatever, have been in my “to read list” forever. I came up with 12, a big mix of classic and contemporary, one for every month of the year. They are:

Authors that I haven’t yet chosen a specific title to try,
W.O. Mitchell
Haruki Murakami
Patricia Highsmith
Isak Dinesen

Books
My Antonia , by Willa Carter
The Travels of Marco Polo
The Letters of Abelard and Heloise
Invisible Cities , by Italo Calvino
The Corrections , by Jonathan Franzen
The Wars , by Timothy Findley
White Teeth , by Zadie Smith
The Diary of Annais Nin

Anyone else out there with other Readolutions ? Lets post it here and check it in a while to see how we are doing.

#16965 - 12/10/02 05:02 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
studio1
Ching Shih

Loc: Canada

I was all ready to point out the typo in "resolutions", good thing I caught on. ;\)

Yes, I have made a few readolutions:

~ Keep a book log. (Just to see if it does give me a thrill.)
~ Read 50 or 52 books in 2003. (50 is such a nice, round number, but 52 would make it one a week.)
~ At least 20 of those books must be from the gargantuan pile in my room.
~ At least 10 must be from my list of book titles that I write down, and that has gotten far, far too long.

I like this much better than normal resolutions. Who needs to lose 20 pounds when there are books to be read!

#16966 - 12/10/02 05:54 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
EL
Ching Shih

Loc: New York City, NY, USA

What a good idea! One book a month wouldn't be too much for busy people, and it won't take up too much time for people who read several books a month.
I resolve (readolve?) to read all the books I bought from the Strand last week, especially The Crimson Petal and the White and The Little Friend.
And I resolve to keep up to date my book log. I started one last year in my journal, but I haven't been updating it often enough and by the time I get to it, I forget what I've read!

Edited to remove useless codes.

#16967 - 12/10/02 06:19 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
Fiammetta
Ching Shih

Loc: NYC, NY, USA

What a good idea! But I'm only going to "force" myself into six books for the whole year, one every two months. Then if I finish a book really fast, I have almost two months to read whatever I want.

The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser

I keep starting book logs then misplacing them and giving up on them. I resolve to start one. . .now! Heh, right.

#16968 - 12/10/02 06:57 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I have one major readolution: To read more non-fiction in 2003. This time I mean it. I only read 10 non-fiction books all year, and most were dubious choices at that. Sordid rock bios anyone? Heh.
#16969 - 12/10/02 07:46 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

Great topic!

I really only have one readalution and it's more of a "winter break" thing than a New Year's: read all 24 of the books I packed to take with me (and one book contains two novels). After I've gotten through those and whatever I happen across at the local library, I'll think about a general readolution for 2003.

#16970 - 12/10/02 08:51 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
Anonymous Unregistered

I resolve to read David Copperfield. I resolve to tackle James Michener's Caribbean. I resolve to read something (be it Isabel Allende, Vargas Llosa or even Gabriel Garcia Marquez) in Spanish. And I have promised myself to get all of John Irving under my belt. (Well, you know what I mean...)

(BTW, setara, My Antonia is also on my to-read list!)

#16971 - 12/10/02 08:52 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
Anonymous Unregistered

I resolve to avoid the embarassing double post!
#16972 - 12/10/02 09:44 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
Willow431
Ching Shih

Loc: New York

This is such a good idea! I've never made a "readolution" before -- maybe that's why I usually give up on my resolutions by February...

So, here are my 2003 readolutions:

• Read 120 books. (My goal for 2002, which I will be able to reach, was 100 books.)
  • Read more nonfiction. I thought I had done that this year, but it turns out that most of my 2002 nonfiction books involved either baseball or Dave Eggers.
  • Read Paradise Lost -- because it's a classic, but (to be honest) mostly because it was the major inspiration for Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

#16973 - 12/10/02 10:32 PM Re: New Year’s Readolutions
voiceofreason
Ching Shih

Loc: Brookline, MA, USA

Lovely topic! I've always been a conservative resolution-maker; I hate to disappoint myself. So these are all either vague or extremely doable resolutions.

Three readolutions for voiceofreason:

1. Read more, buy less! My "books I own but have yet to read" list jumped up to an all time high of 36 today, which may not seem like much to some of you, but it's a disturbing precedent to me, especially since I know that Christmas is coming and I will get books and/or bookstore gift certificates. And only one of the books I purchased was on my "to buy" list.

2. Read more biographies and history -- my nonfiction reading is almost always science, which I love, but I could stand to diversify.

3. Read at least three books in French. (And one of the new additions to my unread book pile is Claudine en menage so that's two birds right there).

Page 1 of 60 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: